Heart and Harvest of the Adirondacks

Heart and Harvest of the Adirondacks
"A kaleidoscope of colors at the farmhouse"

Welcome to the farm!

BEN WEVER FARM is a multi- generation family farm in the Adirondacks. We raise and sell grassfed beef, pork, and poultry as well as rainbow eggs, seasonal vegetables, honey, and other products. Come visit our 24/7 farmstand, The Farmers' Daughter, for some of our delicious produce and to see what's happening down on the farm!

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Calving Season has begun

With Easter only 4 days away - winter does not want to let go of its grip. Yes, we have a spitting snowstorm going on and 37 degree weather. I did see some rhubarb poking its way out of the ground before the snow covered it.
Chauntel was right about the straight run chicks. I think when I ordered them in November I was tossing around the idea of "cornish game hens". Now that the mistake has been made I am committed to it. You know - lemonade from lemons. Contrary to what you might think, these small chickens you purchase at the grocery are not cornish, game, or hens. It seems that the USDA description is any sex chicken harvested at 6 weeks of age that weigh under 2 pounds, so there goes all those young roosters.
Also it seems that I have decided to do an embryology/ incubation project for 4-H, several of the clubs and schools are joining in this crazy fun. And since I certainly don't need anymore chickens, we will try cortunix quail. I'll keep you posted on that venture. We are going to get the eggs from Cornell's poultry farm. I understand that this is the last year they will supply the eggs- due to program cut back.
Besides the little king Carlos, Yellow number 8 Angus had a heifer a couple of days ago. Mom and calf are doing well. It looks like #17 will go next. Our official start is April 9th for calving season but we forgot to tell the cows that important information. We have our yearlings separated and last weekend , we made the hard decision of who was staying and who was going to a new home.
All the Charolais are going except for the last steer. A neighboring beef rancher is "beefing" up his herd. I think a group of 10 angus are being brought to Vermont Beeef Producers sale on May 2nd. We try to attend or participate in at least one sale/ event across the lake each year. Our New York beef Producers have their functions to far south or west for us to travel. Of course, we do a lot of cattle trading with the Essex County Cattlemen's Club. This is an informal group at best and is very fluid in its membership (beer drinkers, I think).
I did find out some very exciting news. Chauntel will be in a book titled "Young Americans". Young Adirondack agriculturalists 18-21 years old are featured in photos by Ben Stechschulte that is to be released May 15, I imagine the book is something like those "A Day in the Life. . ." of Hawaii is an example. This book is filled with different segments of the youth of the U.S. from coast to coast like the future business or political leaders, sports, native fishermen, etc. I know the photos will spectacular! Ben spent several days on farm getting a feel for the crazy and hectic lifestyle we all lead up here.
Well I have a few more critters to check and feed before I wrap it up for the evening. I was waiting for Quentin to get home from school. I know it must be fairly slick and slippery on the mountain. He has his one foot out the door anticipating graduation from high school. We visited his college of choice on Saturday -Norwich University in Northfield, Vermont. It was snowing there, too and their daffodils were blooming! One of the parents shared that their son left for school weighing 210 pounds and when he came home at Thanksgiving he weighed 170. Our Q is a mean lean fighting machine and he has absolutely no extra weight to discard. So I am imagining a skeleton. I think it will be a good fit. The class sizes are small so I don't think he will get lost in the crowd and the soldier students certainly seem to be kept busy.

No comments: