Heart and Harvest of the Adirondacks

Heart and Harvest of the Adirondacks
"A kaleidoscope of colors at the farmhouse"

Welcome to the farm!

BEN WEVER FARM is a multi- generation family farm in the Adirondacks. We raise and sell grassfed beef, pork, and poultry as well as rainbow eggs, seasonal vegetables, honey, and other products. Come visit our 24/7 farmstand, The Farmers' Daughter, for some of our delicious produce and to see what's happening down on the farm!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

College is a two-semester vacation

Hi, everyone. For those of you who don't know, I am the full-time farmhand for the summer. When this was initially dreamed up, my first thought was this is great - I can make my own hours.

Oh, silly, naive little me.

I'd totally make my own hours if I had any. They're all consumed by precariously pregnant cows, the bottomless appetites of piglets and meat chickens, and, of course, the cannibalistic batch of turkey chicks. And my garden! It's not even planted and I already weed like I'm committing mass herbicide. I get up at six (read: I attempt to arise at six, and fail miserably) and don't hit the sack until around eleven. I try to go to bed around 9:30, but my parents are full-on partiers and sucker me into watching The Closer. To top that off, my dog wakes me up around 4 or 5 times to go out, and the turkey chicks I managed to rescue are in my bathroom and peep rather loudly and consistently thorughout the night.

Fortunately enough, I love it, so I'll happily suffer. As for farm updates...it's calving season, but there seems to be a lull in the "they're popping left and right!" hysteria. There are a gazillion chicks in the nursery wing of the barn. Well, not a gazillion. But fairly close. I can't wait until they feather out and can go outside. There are piglets in the barn too, and they need to be out enjoying the fresh grass and sunshine. I just have to find them a shady spot because they're mostly pink skinned, and I, of all people, can thoroughly appreciate shelter from the sun.

I'll be putting out flyers fairly soon. Also, please come by the farmstand and pick up some eggs. I think I wash and pack a gazillion eggs a day. Well, not a gazillion. But fairly close.

Chauntel


Weeding strawberries requires donning a suitably intense facial expression, so that persistent non-strawberry species may be frightened away from your zealously guarded raised beds.

No comments: